DON'T MISS: Italian conceptual portrait photographer Sara Lando is coming to the US to teach in Atlanta (8/16) and Baltimore (8/23). Highly recommended.

Monday, September 17, 2007

Free Lighting Mods in the Produce Aisle

What a great idea. How many times have I walked right past these squishy fruit protectors on my way to the Doritos aisle and not given them a second thought?

I am resolving right here and now to eat just a little healthier this week. Maybe three or four, I dunno, squishy fruits of some sort.

Let's list the bennies:


1. Free.
2. Lightweight.
3. Free.
4. Collapsible.
5. Free.
6. Is a soft-edged, funky snoot.
7. Free.
8. Simulates a bare bulb.
9. Free.
10. Protects your flash while in your bag.
11. Free.

Props to Joseph Hoetzl for an idea that could only be better if I had thought of it myself.

-30-


__________

Brand new to Strobist, or lighting? Start here.
Or, jump right into our free Lighting 101 course.
Connect: Discussion Threads | Reader Photos | Twitter

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's cheap. And then there's poor man's version of cheap.

September 17, 2007 12:06 AM  
Anonymous Norby said...

Perfect! I just got two dozen roses for my wife - little does she know that secretly I was ordering light mods for my SB-24...

And regardless of "cheap", the whole "I've already got them" aspect is a big plus.

-/\/

September 17, 2007 2:40 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Awesome, thanks! Sent to a bunch of friends and delicious bookmarked... nice.

September 17, 2007 3:12 AM  
Blogger Box of Frogs said...

I think things like this are absolutely fabulous. Might put an add in the local paper...an off to the local supermarket to pick up a few.

I debate the funky remark though!!

"Fruit Protectors Wanted - flashing aid"

September 17, 2007 6:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also suggest pringles or lays cans. The pringles cans are lined with metallic inside and the lays stackables have an "extension" on the end for a larger flash head.


http://www.flickr.com/photos/markbennett/1387416605/

for a pringles snoot usage shot (sorry no setup shot).

September 17, 2007 6:58 AM  
Blogger Ken said...

More importantly;

how much do these bad boys cost? I couldn't find any mention in your post

September 17, 2007 8:57 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Ummm ... if it's both a snoot and a bare bulb — without obvious modification — doesn't that suggest that it won't be very efficient in either guise?

Still, great ingenuity on display, and as a strobe protector alone it looks to be worth the price of admission.

September 17, 2007 1:19 PM  
Blogger Charlie said...

Haha, superb

September 17, 2007 1:19 PM  
Blogger Joseph said...

Thank you for the entry!
I am humbled by your words.

FYI - You can also "install" it in the other direction for a not as tight snoot effect.

September 18, 2007 7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can someone also provide some examples of what effect this has on your images? Snooting and Barebulb seem like they work in completely different ways.

September 19, 2007 9:43 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

We only have them for Nikon in the grocery store I frequent.

October 18, 2007 8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home