LATEST: Newly expanded, updated Strobist Gear Guide.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A Visually Engaging Presentation

Editor's note: Strobist is about off-camera lighting with small flashes. But it also embraces visual creativity of all kinds. And this is that, in spades.

This video has absolutely nothing to do with off-camera flash. If you don't like the occasional diversion, feel free to skip it. But I loved it.



Okay, I guess it is wedding proposal week on Strobist. First Matt and Sol, and now this.

Strobist reader (we do like to claim our stars) George Aye proposed last weekend to Sara Cantor, his girlfriend of three years. The time-lapse video he created with his still camera has already gone viral in just two days, with over 125,000 150,000 YouTube views.

Congratulations to George and Sara. George, hurry up and get all of your lighting gear before "discretionary spending" is no longer a line item on the budget.

And Sara, count on an wonderfully creative and visual family album in your future.
___________________________

UPDATE: George writes to tell me that "My Early Muir Owl" is an anagram of "Will you marry me?"

Seriously, this guy needs to open a consulting business.


__________

Brand new to Strobist, or lighting? Start here.
Or, jump right into our free Lighting 101 course.
Connect: Discussion Threads | Reader Photos | Twitter

19 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Amazing job! This is fantastic. Congratulations you two!

August 21, 2007 10:18 PM  
Anonymous Waldo said...

That is just awesome. Thanks for posting.

August 21, 2007 10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was awesome. I'm at a loss for words. I can only hope that I have a shadow of that level of creativity.

August 21, 2007 10:22 PM  
Blogger Adler said...

I can't watch the video because in my country, Thailand. Youtube was banned. It would be great if strobist video can be watch in some other youtube-like service as an option for some people like me.

Thank you. :-)

August 21, 2007 11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was so tender, so thoughtful and so good. I'm so glad my wife married me before she saw this proposal. That dude just set the bar way, way high. (Congratulations to that dude, by the way!)

August 21, 2007 11:21 PM  
Blogger David said...

I am very sorry YT is banned in Thailand. But they are the standard video embed on the web. Besides, if I switched I am sure the Thai givernment would get around to banning any other vid site, too.

Such a shame that governments have to be so paranoid and short-sited.

Best,
David

August 21, 2007 11:27 PM  
Anonymous Al said...

George really put the rest of us to shame. Gotta keep this video away from my wife.

David, I bet you meant "short-sighted", or was it a pun?? Nevertheless, thanks for posting. The music is great too!! George is the man!!

August 22, 2007 2:13 AM  
Blogger Jesse said...

Those of us who cannot be so creative write programs to appear so. Here's one that will generate anagrams should you need one:
http://wordsmith.org/anagram/

August 22, 2007 2:25 AM  
Anonymous trythil said...

That was awesome. Such dedication!

Also, great taste in music :) Sæglópur is a beautiful composition.

August 22, 2007 2:31 AM  
Anonymous Spica said...

Wow ! Talk about being creative ! That's an amazing job !

August 22, 2007 4:46 AM  
Blogger Crayola Boy said...

I also got engaged this weekend to this lovely lady.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/solisphotography/1199017460/

To my surprise, she wanted a photo shoot done to mark the occasion.

August 22, 2007 2:43 PM  
Blogger Paulo said...

I tell you that put my proposal to shame. What a great video

August 22, 2007 2:46 PM  
Blogger Paulo said...

I tell you that put my wedding proposal to shame. What a fantastic video. Loved the music too, anyone know what track it is?

August 22, 2007 2:47 PM  
Blogger 6 of Four Creations said...

Beautiful. I love it.

August 22, 2007 3:56 PM  
Anonymous Ben said...

See, when I'm having a day that makes me think people are all crap... I see something like this.

Thanks. And congrats to the happy couple.

August 22, 2007 6:53 PM  
Anonymous Matt said...

Thanks for posting that incredible video David. Very artistic and fun, and enjoyable to watch.

Plus, Sigur Ros makes for some great background music. One of my favorite bands.

August 23, 2007 9:44 AM  
Blogger Bill Morgan said...

Incredible ... loved it. Teared up at the end.

It's a great start to a wedding story and if you live in the ohio area and need a photographer for your wedding I'd so Enjoy doing your wedding day photography (and even give you a strobist discount!).

Congrats, that was perfect.

August 24, 2007 1:53 PM  
Blogger Hywel Jenkins said...

That was wonderful. I hope, and I'm sure, that you have many happy years together. Congratulations.

August 26, 2007 5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This proposal reminded me of the classic "Perfect Proposal" now viewed >700,000 times at YouTube:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Syxwkc36jas

August 29, 2007 8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home